Why I Am Running
I love living in Fairfax County. For the past thirteen years it’s been an honor to raise all five of my children here with my wife, Julianna. When I met Julianna she was a Fairfax County Special Education teacher, so our family has a good sense of the state of education in our county.
I want to provide the same opportunities I have enjoyed for all residents of Fairfax County. I built a career investing in, and building affordable housing in our area. Beginning in 2010, I was appointed to the Board of the Virginia Housing and Development Authority (VHDA), where I was voted Chair after being re-appointed by Democratic Governor Terry McAuliffe. I am proud that during my tenure, hard working VHDA staff and board members generated over $100 million in affordable housing in Fairfax County.
Statewide we helped generate and produce the below affordable housing projects:
- Originated $6.9 billion of homeownership loans which served 38,571 households.
- Issued $460.8 million of Mortgage Credit Certificates serving 11,853 households.
- Provided Homebuyer Education for 127,482 individuals (either in-person or online).
- Originated $2.7 billion of rental loans which financed 474 developments with 40,600 units.
- Issued federal low income housing tax credits that generated approximately $2.5 billion of equity to be used in the construction/rehabilitation of 395 rental developments with 32,678 units serving persons with incomes at or below 60% of the area’s median income.
- Disbursed $995 million of federal rental assistance to very low income households.
- Allocated $217.7 million of internally generated funds to VHDA’s REACH Virginia initiative which provides financing, grants and technical assistance to support the housing needs of Virginia’s diverse communities.
- Issued $3.9 billion of taxable and tax-exempt bonds.
- Issued $5.3 billion of Ginnie Mae and Fannie Mae mortgage backed securities.